Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Nostalgia

So I posted a status update on Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace today that read: "Remember the first time you made $100? Birthday, Christmas, Summer Job. Didn't you feel rich? I want to feel rich again." Never have I felt so misunderstood.

First of all, I want to thank my friends who commented back for their optimism and philosophy. I'm aware that I have a great wife, great son, great friends, good job, and so on. I'm aware that people with money are not necessarily happy people. All that glitters is not gold, I know. That isn't what I was trying to convey. I was attempting to impart a feeling of nostalgia in 140 characters or less. The first time you held $100 in your hand and felt the possibilities were endless. The baseball cards, the candy, the CD's, the dolls, the whatever. Remember? Think about it. At this point, most of earn a paycheck. When was the last time you got your paycheck, hopefully it was over $100, and thought of infinite possibilities? Go ahead. Think about it. I'll wait. You've never held your paycheck in awe! You know exactly where every penny of that is going. Groceries, rent, power, water, cable, car, insurance, phone, etc. etc. That's "adult life." I was simply stating earlier today that I miss getting excited about money.

I noticed it yesterday when my wife told me we got a check in the mail from the escrow on our house. Well over $100 dollars, but I said, immediately, "Great! Put it on the credit card." Like that. A sizable sum of money in and out of my life in less than a 15 second phone call.

Maybe that's why I enjoy parenthood so much. I may be jaded, but I get to watch my son experience the things I take for granted for the first time. First steps. Bubbles are awesome. Jumping on beds is the bomb. Running through sprinklers; if you haven't done that lately, please do. What else? Pulling a quarter out of his ear, or, even better, "stealing" his nose! Everyday is brand new to him. And so it is new to me vicariously.

But, nostalgia. That was what I meant. I don't want to BE rich (I won't say no if I win the lotto), I want to FEEL rich. To hold ANY sum of money with no prior obligation, just infinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment